07 Jun AIA ’19 – Ratcliff presents on Regenerative Design and Virtual Reality
Regenerative Design: Finding Purpose & New Potential
If you believe in the power of design to improve the lives of all, regenerative design could be the key to a bold new direction for you.
Join us for an exciting session that will explore the potential of regenerative design through its concepts and frameworks. You’ll discover how leading with regenerative design processes can help you bring greater value to clients, stakeholders, and communities. Small-group exercises will teach you how to apply principles that create new vitality and viability within your work, creating greater value to society.
- Understand fundamental regenerative design principles and look at your projects through a regenerative lens that considers the whole ecology of a project.
- Reimagine and expand your practice by using regenerative thinking to reshape your projects from the start and be a catalyst for revitalization and positive change.
- Redefine your value to your clients and their value to the communities they serve, elevate the architect’s role to strategic partner, and champion a regenerative and sustainable environment.
- Engage stakeholders, the larger community, and beyond with a design process that reveals the potential and higher purpose of the project.
BIM to 3DS Max to VR
Virtual reality is being implemented widely to assist designers to visualize space and material in early phases. The best workflow from a BIM model to VR is still not well defined. By working with the Autodesk 3DS max team, we are introducing the recommended way to export your BIM model into VR environment. While we are in 3DS MAX, we will do a light analysis for the design. Furthermore, we’ll be showing the recommended workflow to use a Gaming rendering engine to enhance your VR presentation.
A live demonstration will be projected to show the VR environment to understand what it’s like to work in a VR environment. Since 3DS MAX will also take other 3D models, this VR workflow is not only limited to people or firms that are using Revit. We are only using Revit as an example of how to take advantage of the BIM model to help us in setting up a sophisticated VR scene.
- Learn the recommended workflow to get BIM models into a 3DS MAX environment for rendering and VR. Convert materials from different sources so that the rendering engine can read the materials correctly.
- Perform a quick but accurate light analysis in 3DS MAX with V-Ray plug-in and learn about different VR software strengths and choose according to office needs.
- Apply correct materials and photometric .IES file for photorealistic rendering.
- Learn how to take models into Unity which allows interactivity with the model elements. Automation of the data prep process and saving time by leveraging the Forge platform.