01 Nov Foothill College Physical Sciences + Engineering Center Receives Recognition for STEM Planning and Design
- Foothill College Physical Sciences + Engineering Center awarded SCUP AIA-CAE Honor Award
- Foothill College Physical Sciences and Engineering Center recognized with CCFC Award of Excellence
- Foothill College Physical Sciences and Engineering Center recognized with Best Higher Ed Project Award of Merit by ENR
- Foothill College Physical Sciences and Engineering Center wins highest honor in the AIA East Bay Awards program
- Foothill College Physical Sciences and Engineering Center recognized with Award of Merit, Project in Design, CCFC
The Foothill College Physical Sciences and Engineering Center is a major expansion to a historically and architecturally significant campus dating to 1961. The project posed a number of challenges, from accommodating a demanding program within constraints of site and budget to working within the fabric of the historic campus plan while creating a new state-of-the-art learning environment for science and engineering. The proposed solution incorporates elements of the old campus with new technology, new materials, and a new twist on the historical architectural expression, balancing requirements from both advocates of the traditional and proponents of the modern.
The project incorporates a Science Courtyard as an organizational element for three separate pavilions: a single-story Commons building to the east, flanked by a one-story Classroom building to the north and a two-story Laboratory building to the south, with one story set against the hillside reading as a single-story mass at the courtyard level. The center includes six 45-seat classrooms and two 72-seat lecture rooms in the Classroom building; nine 32-seat labs and one 32-seat multi-purpose classroom in the Lab building and a café, conference room, faculty offices and break-out study spaces in the Commons.
The new Center is a new nexus of activity for the campus, building the community of science students and enthusiasts on campus and beyond. In addition to being a place for formal and informal gathering for Foothill students, the Science Courtyard houses successful outreach events such as the Physics Olympics, a STEM summer camp for high school students and soon to come a STEM Summer Speaker Series open to the community at large.