Built in 1895 and designed in the Richardsonian Romanesque Revival style, the Alameda City Hall originally housed all major municipal offices, including police department, prison, public library, gymnasium, Mayor’s office, and City Council chambers.
The renovation breathed new life into the building, renewing community spirit and legacy. Designed to resurrect the 1895 structure, historic elements such as the original ceremonial council chambers were reinstated; exterior arched amber glass windows were refurbished; original plaster ceilings in the lobby and corridors were restored, and the ornamental copper stair balustrade, as well as all original wood doors and windows, were refurbished. Where necessary, elements such as custom lighting fixtures, casework, hardware, and restroom fittings, were sensitively designed to interpret the style and era of the building’s period.
The renovation, also a seismic retrofit, provided for the future rebuilding of the two-story clock tower, removed in 1937 after suffering earthquake damage.